A synthesis essay is the type of assignment in which you have to hook up different parts of work in order to support and present a larger perception. The purpose of such assignments is to achieve consistent and comprehensive paper by combining valid ideas from valid sources. Students often need to prepare such papers for their academic purposes so it is best to know what and how you are going to do with such an assignment. When you start to write a synthesis paper on particular topic, it is important that you understand and realize a few important things before that. You have to know a certain things before you start writing your paper in the first place
Here is what you need to know before the writing process starts
- The purpose of your assignment- Be clear about what you are trying to achieve with the paper and how will you reach it. What do you want to show the peers about your work and how you are going to present your work and what are the instructions given to you for the paper.
- The type of the assignment- decide what type of synthesis paper you are supposed to write. These papers are of two type’s namely explanatory synthesis essay and argumentative synthesis essay. Explanatory is where the writer has to explain the given subject in different parts using important words and detail. This doesn’t require any proof for what you have written. Argument is when you have to convince and persuade your readers of your ideas and show them through different sources that whatever you have mentioned is valid.
- Preliminary reading- This means that you should have a clear idea about the subject you are addressing and the sources you will use to verify your point of view. Read each source carefully and make a list that will help you in writing your paper
- Decide the method of development that you will use to use your sources and add notes. How the information will be organized and how will it influence the audience. Find out the top sources that best support your idea and use them in your paper.
- Organize the structure of your paper. You should be clear from the start about the order of your paper and the time for each section. And try to follow the order till the end of your paper.